The Composers Association of Aotearoa New Zealand is a non-profit organisation of mostly professional and amateur composers, as well as other supportive institutions.
- We maintain contact with organisations such as SOUNZ (The Centre for NZ Music), the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, Radio New Zealand Concert, RIANZ, Creative New Zealand, APRA and the Government.
- We are members of international organisations, such as the Asian Composers League and the International Society for Contemporary Music. In this way we provide opportunities for international exposure to our members, and we ensure that there is an Aotearoa New Zealand presence at the festivals run by these organisations.
- We make financial and administrative contributions to national events such as the Nelson Composers Workshop, with help from Creative New Zealand and APRA.
- We help with specific one-off projects, such as the transfer of Douglas Lilburn’s electronic works to CD, or administering an Aotearoa New Zealand-Korea musical exchange.
- We maintain a website of useful information for composers.
- We publish Canzona, an annual yearbook, and Canzonetta, a bi-monthly newsletter.
- We present two awards every year: the KBB Citation for Services to New Zealand Music, and the CANZ Trust Fund Award.
- We also make contributions to the composition community through our “behind-the-scenes” work, such as mediating in disputes, writing letters of support for various projects and making submissions on items of policy (such as music curricula).
- We provide a network of contacts for getting involved in the Aotearoa New Zealand composition community, as well as the wider international community of composers.
- The CANZ Constitution (current following amendments passed at the 2017 AGM) may be downloaded here.
CANZ is a non-profit organisation, registered with Charities Services. Donations can be made by cheque (to PO Box 4065, Wellington 6140), or by direct credit to account 38-9011-0486094-00. To obtain a receipt, please contact the treasurer: firstname.lastname@example.org